Networks are known to be a medium of connection in this modern world. This has became the basis of every connection that we can do so that we can share some information to the people that might want to learn something from us as well, or in order for them to get something that they might want such as software and any other files. Networks have improved over the past few years from wired into wireless, and there’s no doubt that this will further improve in the future – maybe they’re just using these as a basis for the next network trend.
There are lots of networks that have been made possible by computers and technology, and they guarantee you various benefits that you and some might like to have on their computers and/or other devices. Here are the well-known types:
Top 10 Types of Network Books [Reviews Updated July 2018]
Types of Networks
- Personal Area Network – Often used at home, this network is more on connections between a computer and another gadget such as a telephone or a modem.
- Local Area Network – A connection that’s used for groups of computers. This is common in small offices and internet cafes. This is where everyone can share files basically, and is also known to be a good way to connect between computers whenever they want to share an internet connection, or whenever they want to play games with each other.
- Metropolitan Area Network – A more powerful version of the local area network where it can cover up the whole city in terms of connection. A huge server is usually used for this type of connection.
- Wide Area Network – This is a common type of network nowadays that’s made possible by wireless technology. Usually, a credential or service from a certain company is needed to enter a connection in this type of network, but there are others that can be used for free. This is good for internet connection. The internet is a well-known version of this one.
- Storage Area Network – A type of network that specializes in file sharing and other matters in storing various software within a group of computers.
- Enterprise Private Network – This is a software network that’s often used in businesses so that they can have privacy over files and interactions between computers.
- Virtual Private Network – This is a software that’s capable of setting up a network where everyone registered in the network using a credential will be able to access each other through other registered computers.
Types of Switches
Understanding the various switches needed to turn the network will give you an understanding about the different kinds of things needed if you want to operate one. Here are as follows:
- Unmanaged – This type of network switch is known to be used for small businesses. This is effectively used to manage the flow of data between computers or a single device.
- Managed – This type of network switch is known to be accessed via software and has an interface that can make work easier. This is perfect for small businesses that need someone to monitor the system, and has various settings that can be adjusted by an expert so that the business owner can have their own preference within the network.
- Smart Type – This is a web-based network that has the properties of unmanaged and managed switches. This is capable of changing settings in one network that can automatically affect the type of setting that’s in the system.
- Enterprise – This is needed for large companies where there are various tiers of networks that can control the whole network and monitor it at the same time. This is the most powerful switch, yet the most expensive.
- Also Check: Types of Switches
Types of Cables
This is the hardware part of the network so that it can effectively connect to the switches that you installed in your network. Here are the well-known cables used within a certain network:
- Twisted Pair Cables – (Ethernet Switch vs Router: Which One Is Better?) – This is the type of network cable that’s often used for Ethernet connections (or the well known Local Area Network connection). This is capable of providing 10/100/1000 Mbps for the network connection.
- Fiber Optics – (Types of Fiber Optic Cable and Other Miscellaneous Facts) This is the type of cable that’s very powerful especially nowadays where this is used by most internet service providers for a fast way to a share internet connection to the subscribers. This is made using glass and light pulses. This is often used for WAN connections.
- USB – There are some cables that are in USB form which is used for some devices such as mobile hotspots and other small devices for network connections.
- Crossover – (What Crossover Cables You Might Need) These are cables that can be used for small multiple networks such as home connections.
The Most Common Type of Home Network
For those who want to set us a network at home, it’s a well-known fact that wireless local area connection is the widely used type of network inside the house. This is known to be the simplest and most convenient type of network that homes can use. Nowadays, there are many children and parents that prefer to use their smart phones especially if they’re not that good with computers which is why many people prefer WLAN because it will guarantee them a very convenient way to share things over the internet with no wires attached to the device.
Types of Computer Networks
Here are some of the well known types of computer networks that you can use for your computers.
- Local Area Network – This is often used as a computer network with a wired connection. This is perfect for internet cafes and homes.
- Wide Area Network – This is the wireless version of a shared network. The internet is a well-known wide area network connection.
- Wireless Local Area Network –This is a computer network that’s dedicated for those who want to connect wirelessly, this is a well-known source of internet nowadays. Also called as Wi-Fi.
Types of Network Protocols
Protocols are used as a medium to access the network with the right credentials. This is needed to make the connection possible and is often used as an identifier for the devices that are connected within the network. You can control these protocols if you wish. Here are the well-known protocols for network connections:
- IP – This is often considered as an identifier for internet connections and for computers that need connection to another computer.
- Bluetooth – This is often used for wireless purposes. This is often used in phones and is now used for gadgets like headsets and laptops for transmission of various features.
- Routing – This protocol is used for computers and other devices that are connected within a router. This is common for internet connection nowadays.
- HTTP – this is the protocol that leads you to a website with the use of the internet and your own IP address.
Types of Network Topologies
A topology for the network is known to be a layout for the connected devices. This is important because this is used to provide a proper flow of data within the said network. Here are the various topologies:
- Bus – This is the type of structure that uses a single medium to connect the computer.
- Ring – Each computer is connected to another neighbouring computer for data transfer. One failed network can cause all networks to turn off.
- Star – This is a structure that’s common in homes. It uses a certain hub or a router to make the network possible.
- Tree – This is a complicated structure that connects the star into multiple buses. This is common for internet cafes and offices.
- Mesh – this is a connection that leads to various data transmissions which are perfect for routing huge networks.
Types of Wireless Networks
This is a more modern form of network nowadays since this is more convenient. This is currently being studied to make all network wireless for the future. This type of network is similar to the standard type of connections for networks. Here are the various types of wireless networks:
- Local Area Network
- Metropolitan Area Network
- Personal Area Network
- Wide Area Networks
Types of Network Architecture
Network architecture is known to be a way of building various kinds of networks with the use of technology and logic combined. This is known to be the basis for all networks, and this research has made your internet accessible nowadays. Here are the common types of network architecture:
- Physical Layer – This is more about the wires and its electrical equivalent.
- Data Linking Layer – this is more about the structure of the data transmission.
- Network Layer – A layer that’s focused about the various network connections involved.
- Transport Layer – It handles the transfer of data for the end users.
- Session Layer – It indicates the session needed to start the connection.
- Presentation Layer – This makes the entities of the application layer active for usage.
- Application Layer – This is the layer that’s closest to the end user which mostly involves the software for the network connection type.